If you haven’t done it already, it may be the right time to take an auto hike of the Top 10 List of Central Pennsylvania’s architectural treasures. Some, like Pennsylvania’s incomparable State Capitol, may be a somewhat obvious choice, but others may have escaped notice.
So here is the list of the “10 Best Buildings of Central Pennsylvania” as voted on by AIA Central Pennsylvania membership in 2010.
Rank and Building Notes (Architect / Year)
1. State Capitol Building, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Joseph M. Huston / 1906
2. Whitaker Center, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Architect of Record: Murphy & Dittenhafer Architects
Design Architects: Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates
Photography (labeled M&D): Courtesy of HHPA
3. West Manchester Municipal Building Complex, West Manchester Township, York, Pennsylvania
Architect: Murphy & Dittenhafer Architects
Photography: John Allen, J David Allen & Son Photography
4. St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Harrisburg, Pa Unknown / 1907
5. Keystone Building, Harrisburg, PA Bohlin Cywinski Jackson / 2000
6. Lancaster Central Market, Lancaster, PA James H. Warner/ 1889
7. Harrisburg Train Shed, Harrisburg, PA Unknown / 1887
8. Susquehanna Art Museum Harrisburg, PA Alexander Design Studio / 2000
9. Hahn House, York, PA John Dempwolf / 1918
10. Star Barn Daniel Reichert (Carpenter) / 1872
Drop us a line at email@example.com if you believe a building in our region should have made the list. We’d love to hear from you!