Local Employment Opportunities
Historic Preservation Professor of Practice
University of Pennsylvania: Weitzman School of Design
Posted on 10/24/2023
NOW HIRING: Historic Preservation Professor of Practice
The University of Pennsylvania’s Weitzman School of Design aspires to provide education and scholarship of the highest quality—to advance the frontiers of design knowledge, to educate leaders in design, research, and scholarship, to make a resilient, just, and meaningful world.
The Department of Historic Preservation provides an integrated approach for architects, landscape architects, planners, engineers, historians, archaeologists, conservators, and other professionals from related fields to understand, sustain, and transform the existing built environment.
The department seeks to recruit a distinguished practitioner at the level of Professor or Associate Professor of Practice who is actively engaged in professional design activities in the context of the historical environment to help impact the next phase of our department. The successful candidate will demonstrate expertise in preservation design, playing an active role in the pedagogy of the program’s preservation design concentration and its curriculum, including studio. In addition, the candidate will have expertise in one or more of the following areas: Building Rehabilitation, Urban Conservation; Construction/Material Culture; Climate/Sustainability. Teaching responsibilities will involve required design studio courses for students in the MSHP and post-professional MSD-Historic Preservation programs. Additionally, the successful candidate may offer lecture courses and research-based seminars in their area of expertise to students across the professional, and post-professional tracts. The candidates are expected to regularly engage with students and faculty through thesis advising, guest critiques, and project reviews.
Candidates should be creative designers who show promise of an innovative approach with contributions to the field. Candidates should also demonstrate investment in design scholarship and in critical and creative studio pedagogy, particularly with respect to teaching foundational design
Practice positions are reserved for distinguished professionals who wish to combine education and practice. These positions bring knowledge developed in practice and apply teaching as a way of exploring ideas and theories more freely than practice assignments permit. Practitioners should be recognized in their field and seek to develop educational opportunities that expose students to the leading edge of their particular fields. Appointments of practitioner educators offer multi-year security and are renewable. The appointment(s) is expected to start in Fall of 2024.
Candidates will hold a Master of Architecture or related advanced degree. They will have relevant work experience in architectural design, especially focused on the historical context, exemplary practice, and a record of scholarship, Ideally, the candidate will have more than three years of teaching experience. Professional licensure is desirable but not a pre-requisite.
Candidates should upload:
- A letter of interest,
- Current CV
- Selected material from your portfolio, amounting to 15 mb or less.
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three referees. (Candidates will be notified regarding requests for recommendation letters during the subsequent phase of the recruitment process.)
The faculty search committee will review applications on a rolling basis starting in November 2023.
Architectural Designer/Project Manager
By Design Consultants, Inc
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Posted on 7/18/2023
NOW HIRING: Architectural Designer/Project Manager
We are looking for an Architectural Designer to join our team and help us create innovative and unique designs for our clients. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in architecture, design, and engineering, as well as experience in working with clients to develop projects from concept to completion. This position requires excellent communication skills, the ability to work independently, and a passion for creating aesthetically pleasing designs. A minimum of 5 years of experience is required for this position.
By Design Consultants, Inc., was founded in 1992 as a full-service architectural design firm. We specialize in commercial architecture, including office space, health care, restaurants, retail, entertainment, government, and multi-family design. Our design philosophy is based on a passion for careful attention to our clients needs, a respect for our clients budgets, and the focused development of strong design ideas.
Please send inquiries to: email@example.com
- Design and develop building plans using REVIT software.
- Create and present 3D models of buildings and structures.
- Research building codes and regulations to ensure designs are compliant.
- Develop detailed drawings of building components, including floor plans, elevations, sections, and details.
- Collaborate with engineers and other professionals to ensure design accuracy.
- Conduct site visits to evaluate existing conditions and take measurements.
- Communicate design concepts to clients and stakeholders.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience, and a degree in architecture or a related field, is required for this position.
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and digital portfolio sample to Rich at firstname.lastname@example.org
Buchart Horn Architects
Posted on 2/14/2023
NOW HIRING: Project Architect
Buchart Horn Architects has an exciting opportunity for a Project Architect. This role will report into our York, PA location.
About Buchart Horn Architects:
Buchart Horn was one of the first professional consulting companies to combine engineering and architecture under one roof. That innovation was fueled by a simple premise: it was better for clients if engineers and architects would cooperate rather than compete on projects. Simple ideas are often the most powerful; today the firm’s professional and support personnel serve local, state, and federal government clients around the world.
Buchart Horn Architects (BHA) has been providing exceptional architectural services to clients in private and public sectors. We have designed and administered the construction of facilities for more than 1,000 clients. We take as much pride in the relationships we build as the structures we create.
Our design process begins with a simple goal: to meet our clients’ needs through visionary and realistic designs. The design process is just as important as the final product, and it is our responsibility to provide clients with unparalleled service and exceptional design while creating spaces that function for the client and inspire the community. We take great pride in turning clients’ visions into extraordinary architecture by collaborating with leaders of public and private organizations, helping them articulate their goals, and following through with design solutions to bring their visions to life.
We bring the ability to quickly understand your project’s needs, constraints, and your future requirements. The architectural process is essential to understanding the value of construction – the discussion of details transforms a simple piece of work into a memorable building. We strive to ensure the design and construction of a building is both transformative and long lasting in order to support all aspects of aesthetics, function, and economics. Our clients and peers know the Buchart Horn Architects (BHA) name and rely on us to see their projects through from concept to completion. We look forward to working with you on your next project.
What we have to offer:
You will be a part of a team that is making a positive impact in your community. The projects our team supports are local and regional projects that our employees can be proud of. As a firm, we offer the opportunity for diverse projects where you can be challenged and grow. At Buchart Horn Architects, you can expect to work in a positive, friendly and flexible environment. You will be inspired and empowered to do your best work, because our people make the difference. The current opening will focus on our Pennsylvania Municipal and Government Market Sector with support of our Educations and Commercial markets.
What you will be doing:
As a Project Architect, you will be responsible for providing advanced drawings, documents and tasks. You will also provide support for all small to medium projects.
- Has full responsibility for managing all aspects of multiple small to mid-sized projects
- Responsible for coordination of all project efforts
- Serves as the primary client liaison to bring the schedule, budget, and scope of work to completion
- Assist Market Sector Leader with Proposal content as requested
- Prepare architectural drawings and details complying with company and industry standards under direction of Architect, Project Manager, or Director of Design
- Actively manages the schedule, budget, and programs; project communications, and project team assignments
- Actively manages the coordination of detailed plans integrating engineering, electrical, and HVAC considerations; presents plans to clients for review and approval.
- Perform advanced architectural assignments (examples – product research, quantity take-offs, code references, and forms).
- Develop programming documents, interview questionnaires, adjacency diagrams, and schematic designs.
- Provide drawing detail development and prepare scalable plans and renderings (examples – floor plans, elevations, sections, details, and design concept drawings).
- Process shop drawings, edit specifications, create documentation, schedules, and coordinate project files
- Responsible for managing small to medium projects.
- Acts as Lead Designer on large projects in conjunction with Project Manager / Project Architect.
- Responsible for overall performance of small to medium projects that are being managed.
- Conduct field surveys, substantial completion audits, and record drawings.
- Provide department clerical assistance and CAD technician duties as needed.
- Support business development activities as requested and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Assist Architect(s) with project management duties as assigned.
- Eight plus years of relevant experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead project teams and manage project schedule, budget and program.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent technical drawing skills
- Experience with public design/bid/build projects
- General understanding of sustainable strategies and principles including familiarity with LEED or other green building rating systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture required
- Registration with NCARB
- Active PA licensure required
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and digital portfolio sample to April Campagna email@example.com
Chris Dawson Architect
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Posted on 1/30/2023
NOW HIRING: GRADUATE ARCHITECT
Chris Dawson Architect (CDA) is looking for a Graduate Architect to join our design team. Graduate Architects play a key role in our design process. They participate in design discussions,
develop drawing sets, pick up redlines, and research technical solutions for a wide range of project types. They benefit from the knowledge, experience, and guidance of our senior-level team
members and are encouraged to design their own career paths thru mentorship and professional development.
CDA is a design-driven practice that believes architecture can happen anywhere. We design spaces to be memorable to encourage architecture’s long lifespan. While most of our work is focused
on reimagining aged, obsolete, or abandoned buildings for contemporary uses, our diverse backgrounds and a broad range of partnerships allow us to execute innovative work across a wide
range of project types. We are a past recipient of the AIA PA Impact Designer award and 20+ AIA Design Excellence awards. In the Spring of 2022, we signed onto the AIA 2030 Commitment and are actively doing our part to design a more sustainably built world.
- The ideal candidate has gained one (1) – two (2) years of experience working full-time or interning with an architectural firm and has a professional degree from an accredited architecture program.
- They have started or plan to start the Architectural Experience Program with the goal of registering.
- A passion for design and a desire to serve others through the built environment is critical. As
- A passion for design and a desire to serve others through the built environment is critical. As are strong graphic skills and a commitment to developing equally as strong technical capabilities.
- Autodesk Revit and Adobe Creative Suite experience are required.
Architectural Intern/ Architect
Gluszko Architects PC
Posted on 8/30/2022
NOW HIRING: ARCHITECTURAL INTERN/ARCHITECT
Based in Campbelltown, Pennsylvania (10 minutes east of Hershey, PA), Gluszko Architects, P.C. provides smart architectural design services which incorporate innovative renewable energy systems. We specialize in sustainable building design that will save you capital over the long-term life of the new or existing building. Gluszko Architects is committed to successfully meeting the needs of the individual clients. Our staff is comprised of highly skilled individuals who serve as valuable resources for our clients.
We also work with other qualified consultants who are knowledgeable in their disciplines. This team approach enhances the success of each project and allows us to create a shared vision with our clients. The firm’s projects reflect an array of opportunities to exceed customer expectations and to continue to evolve with the ever-changing industry standards and code regulations.
The Architectural Intern / Architect will be responsible for working as part of a team member in the production of design documents from schematic design through construction documents on commercial, restaurants, and residential projects. The fast-paced work environment requires an individual who is detail oriented, organized, and can perform their duties with accuracy and efficiency. Offering competitive benefits, flexible work hours, and salary commensurate with work experience.
• Develop design, construction documents and specification documents.
• Provide and maintain accurate project documentation per office standards including timesheets.
• Develop a thorough understanding of the office standards for AutoCAD and Revit operation.
• Assist in the distribution of plans to vendors and contractors.
• Work under the direct supervision of the Project Architect.
• Develop a working knowledge of building codes.
• Perform existing site surveys and documentation of buildings.
• Perform site visits to analyze quality and consistency of work during construction.
• Relevant previous work experience required.
• Bachelor of Architecture degree is a plus. Preferred that candidate is on path to become a licensed architect.
• Proficiency with Auto Cad, Revit, Word, Excel and Sketch up.
• Must have an understanding of basic design and construction details, including, floor plans, reflected ceiling plans, elevations and building sections.
• Understanding of project file organization, drawing set-up and maintenance.
• Ability to read and interpret design / construction documents.
• Ability to work as a team member and as a self-starter.
• Detail oriented with excellent written and verbal communications.
• Must be able to self-check own work to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Take the Next Step. To apply candidates should email PDFs of cover letter, resume, and sample portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.