- This event has passed.
Construction Industry Overview
October 10 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am
Part of the Understanding the Construction Process Series
Gain a Good Foundation of the Construction Industry
This module will serve as an introduction to the Understanding the Construction Process series and cover the basics of the construction industry and construction process. This serves as a great lead into the modules that follow.
3 LU credits per session; 3 LU/HSW credits for sessions 1, 2, 3, 8 & 9
Benefits of Attending:
- Understand the make-up of the construction industry and network of key players involved from inception to completion of a project
- Learn what important documents are involved in the process and what role they play
- Understand how construction and design is governed by building regulations and codes
- Learn the various ways a project can be delivered and their advantages and disadvantages
- Examine Project Case Studies to understand the nuances of each project
Topics Covered this Session:
- Construction Industry Overview
- Construction Documents
- Key Players
- Construction Media
- Building Regulations & Inspections
- Project Delivery Methods
- Project Case Studies/Examples
Who Should Attend:
Administrators, estimators, project engineers, support staff, accountants, attorneys, project managers, project assistants, those new to construction, career constructors interested in learning new information and those interested in a better understanding of the big picture of the construction process will benefit from this series!
Bob Liberato, Wohlsen Construction Company, has over twenty years of experience in the construction industry including roles in estimating, project management and manager of a construction firm. He graduated from Temple University with a degree in Civil and Construction Engineering. Bob began his career as an Estimator for a General Contractor that focused on federal building construction projects and later added Project Management duties with that company. Throughout his career he has worked in the public sector as well as the private sector on hard bid and negotiated projects. He has also acted as a Design/Builder and a Construction Manager for commercial construction projects. Prior to joining Wohlsen, Bob managed a construction company including overseeing operations, business development, estimating and the field. In his current role with Wohlsen Bob is a Pre-Construction Manager overseeing projects from conception through permitting.
Dan Millard, P.E., Wohlsen Construction Company, has nine years of experience in the construction industry. He graduated from the University of Illinois with a degree in Civil Engineering and focus on Construction Management and Structures. He is also licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois in the area of Civil Engineering & Construction. His experience consists of both estimating and on-site project management duties for commercial building projects on the east coast. He has worked on Design-Bid-Build, Design-Build, Hard Bid, and Negotiated GMP projects. He is currently working as a Level II Estimator for Wohlsen Construction.
Sessions in this Series:
- October 10, 2019: Construction Industry Overview
- November 14, 2019: Project Development & Environmental Decisions
- December 12, 2019: Construction Design Documents & Technical Specifications
- January 16, 2020: Preconstruction & Estimating
- February 13, 2020: Virtual Design & Construction Technology
- March 19, 2020: Construction Risk Management
- April 9, 2020: Construction Agreements & Payments
- May 14, 2020: Project Planning & Execution
- June 11, 2020: Project Compliance & Outside Organizations